The County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) is excited about the upcoming Independence Day holiday and all the family fun events occurring throughout the County! Pets are part of our families but should also be given consideration when making plans this 4th of July.
“Our pet community is typically frightened by the sounds of this holiday, and that is perfectly understandable,” said Marcia Mayeda, the Department’s Director. “They react to the sounds and bright flashes of fireworks, which may trigger the fight or flight instinct. The fight instinct could cause a friendly pet to bite out of fear and the flight instinct would cause them to run from the noise and excitement,” Mayeda said. This is one of DACC’s busiest holidays which send dogs fleeing on to busy streets and freeways or running scared far from home. Cats feel the same anxiety, but generally find a dark place to hide at home until the festivities subside.
To ensure the safety of your pets, here are a few tips:
- Make sure your pet’s license is current and be sure the tags are securely affixed to your pet’s collar.
- Keep your pets indoors in a cool, comfortable place with some “white noise” distraction such as a radio or television.
- Do not keep your pets in the backyard or tied up. Dogs, in particular, may panic and injure themselves on a rope or chain.
- Do not take your pets to community fireworks events. Most events do not allow pets. The noise and other activities at these events can easily surprise and frighten your pet.
- If you are leaving town for the weekend and cannot take your pets with you, make sure you leave them with someone who will be cautious and responsible during the Fourth of July celebrations.
If your pet becomes lost or if you wish to turn in a found animal, DACC’s animal care centers will be open for that particular service on July 4, 2017. If you witness animal cruelty or an animal in distress, please call (562) 658-2081, or call 911. For all other services, DACC’s animal care centers will resume normal business hours on July 5, 2016.
The addresses to the animal care centers are:
1. Agoura Animal Care Center- 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills, 91301
2. Baldwin Park Animal Care Center – 4275 N. Elton St., Baldwin Park, 91706
3. Carson Animal Care Center – 216 W. Victoria St., Gardena, 90248
4. Castaic Animal Care Center – 31044 N. Charlie Canyon Rd., Castaic 91384
5. Downey Animal Care Center – 11258 S. Garfield Ave., Downey 90242
6. Lancaster Animal Care Center – 5210 W. Avenue I, Lancaster 93536